Magic Number (stylized as Magic #) is a game where a contestant selects a number between prices of two prizes.
- The contestant is told which is the least expensive of the two and which is the most expensive of the two. The contestant must then find a "magic number" - a number that falls between the two prices. The magic number has to be higher than the prize on the left and lower than the prize on the right. Exact numbers are inclusive (and it has happened once) - to win both prizes. To do so, the contestant raises and lowers a lever attached to the prop that will increase or decrease the number displayed on a readout. When the contestant is finished setting the magic number, the actual retail price of both prizes are shown one at a time. If the magic number isn't higher than the prize on the left or lower than the prize on the right, they lose the game. But if the magic number is higher than the prize on the left and lower than the prize on the right, they win both prizes.
- Magic Number used a chime and then the winning bells whenever a win has occurred early on.
- The chime was eliminated and only the winning bells sounded when a win has occurred.
- On one occurrence, on October 21, 1997 (#0492K), as contestant Audrey stopped the Magic Number at 1429 but (as she pulled the lever lower) she did not notice she actually misadjusted it just below the center, causing the number to go down one at a time on its own. Noticing this, Bob and Audrey briefly had to move far from the game until he said if she wanted to go lower, and did so, stopping at 1140 and fixed the game, but Audrey wanted a higher Magic Number, and went higher and stopped at 1230. On top of that, she won the game.
- The game's computer originally rounded the contestant's guess to the nearest ten. The staff programmed it out once they discovered it was happening.
- In the mid 2000s, the sound effect for the number display counting up or down sounded very different.
- On October 6, 2017 (#8035K, aired out of order on June 29, 2018), the prices on the price tags received a new font.
- On March 30, 2018 (#8275K), the losing horns were not played.
- Like Gas Money and More or Less, Magic Number has never been the first pricing game to start any show. Because the game's computer needs time to start up, the game can be no earlier than 2nd on the show.
- The most number of times this game was played in any season was 26.
- Magic Number was one of four "new" pricing games seen on the sixth taping session of Season 36, which was seen on November 26, 2007 (#4101K), December 4, 2007 (#4112K), December 12, 2007 (#4123K), January 7, 2008 (#4131K, aired out of order on January 9), January 18, 2008 (#4145K), and January 23, 2008 (#4153K).
Premiere Playing (September 14, 1992, #8491D)Edit
First Nighttime Playing of Magic Number (September 12, 1994, #0001N)Edit
Magic Number for a Godfrey SeaRider Peddle Boat and an Olhausen Pool Table (October 21, 1994, #0030N)Edit
Magic Number for a Wooden Chess Table and a John Wilson Designs Locomotive Train Bed (December 9, 1997, #0562K)Edit
Anne's Spectacular Win in Magic Number (June 3, 1998, #0803K)Edit
First Magic Number Playing of Season 30 (December 14, 2001, #1985K)Edit
Hayden's Magic Number Overbid (April 25, 2003, #2515K)Edit
Magic Number for a Worksman Team Dual Trike and a Corsican Day Bed (December 16, 2003, #2722K)Edit
Stephanie's Low Number Loss in Magic Number (April 12, 2005, #3242K)Edit
Last Magic Number Loss With Bob Barker (March 9, 2007, #3915K)Edit
First Playing with Drew Carey (November 26, 2007, #4101K)Edit
Carrie's Close Call Perfection (October 22, 2008, #4473K)Edit
First Playing of 2009 (March 10, 2009, #4662K)Edit
Jeremy's Painful Magic Number Loss (December 21, 2009, #4961K)Edit
Magic Number for DirecTV Satellite Dish and a Sony LCD TV (April 21, 2010, #5133K)Edit
First Playing of 2012 (March 20, 2012, #5892K)Edit
Only Magic Number Win of Season 42 (October 10, 2013, #6444K, aired out of order on October 3)Edit
First Playing of 2014 (May 2, 2014, #6725K)Edit
Magic Number for a Samsung 48" 4K 3D TV and a Honda Fourtrax ATV (November 4, 2015, #7273K)Edit
Magic Number for a Set of Marc Jacobs Accessories and a Yamaha SR400 Motorcycle (October 13, 2016, #7644K)Edit
From January 25, 2018 (#8184K)Edit
Laura's Magic Number Heartbreaker (January 22, 2019, #8592K)Edit
A Magic Number Win With Jonel's Winnings Added to the Showcase Jackpot (October 16, 2019, #8853K, aired out of order on October 15)Edit
Magic Number for a 2-Person Infrared Sauna and a Honda Monkey Motorcycle (April 20, 2020, #9111K, aired out of order on April 27)Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.