- The contestant is shown six grocery items arranged on a circular board which is divided into six wedges (similar to the Trivial Pursuit Pie/Game Token) and a year and month sometime (usually 8-10 years) in the past.
- The contestant selects a grocery item and must determine whether the price given for it is either the current price ("now") or the price as of the specified past date ("then"). To win the game and a large prize, the contestant must correctly guess three items that are on adjacent wedges of the circle (IOW, three products that touch each other; or as Bob put it, three in a row, or as Drew put it, three next to each other). The contestant may continue selecting as many items as needed until the goal is either achieved or made impossible.
- There is an unstated rule that there are always four "now" prices and two "then" prices. Also, there is usually one product that is clearly marked "NEW!" which means that the product is obviously a "now" price. Even one or more items that did not exist in the "then" date in some playings (depending on "then" date) means that it's a "now" price.
- Now....and Then premiered on September 17, 1980 (#3783D) and was won on the day it premiered in.
- Now....and Then was created by Steve Ryan, who also created the 1980s game show Blockbusters, produced all of the rebus puzzles on Classic Concentration and wrote all of the puzzles on Password Plus and Body Language.
- Until November 19, 1986 (#6273D), the game was named "Now....and Then", and Bob always mentioned it was "so-called, because we play this game every now and then." The name was changed on December 2, 1986 (#6292D) to more accurately reflect the decision the contestant had to make. On September 22, 2015 (#7212K), the game reverted back to "Now....and Then" and its "Then" was the date of when it premiered.
- Until the late 2000s, the "then" prices were researched by Kathy Greco who used archived newspaper advertisements as her source; nowadays the "then" prices come from past episodes of The Price is Right.
- Often, the "Then" date on the board leads to quite interesting banter between the host and the contestant. Notably on the April 10, 2008 (#4284K) playing, contestant Keith C. Johnson, a kindergarten teacher, upon seeing the "Then" date of March 1997 remarked, "Back when I was 21." Drew remarked, "Back when I was 21 as well."
- On May 23, 2016 (#034SP), it was redesigned for the Survivor primetime special and its "Then" date was the date Survivor premiered. On June 21, 2016 (#7592K), the redesigned set got carried over to the daytime show.
- On February 19, 2018 (#8221K, aired out of order on February 22), during Big Money Week, Now....or Then was played for $30,000, but unfortunately, it was lost.
- On March 11, 2020 (#9063K), a contestant named Cara Cross won a $20,000 bonus for being the first person on stage to win their pricing game during PCH week. It was played in the fourth slot.
- To make this work, about 4 grocery items will have the actual price introduced today with 2 grocery items that had an actual price from the past.
- The most number of times this game was played in any season was 18.
- Now....or Then was one of four "new" pricing games seen on the sixth taping session of Season 36, which was seen on November 26, 2007 (#4101K), December 4, 2007 (#4112K), December 12, 2007 (#4123K), January 7, 2008 (#4131K, aired out of order on January 9), January 18, 2008 (#4145K), and January 23, 2008 (#4153K).
- On the Italian OK, Il Prezzo è Giusto, it was played under the name "Inflazione" (literally meaning "inflation").
NOTE: As you might've noticed, four of these pics all came from Christmas shows.
Premiere Playing (September 17, 1980, #3783D)Edit
The Last Now.... and Then Playing of Season 10 (May 27, 1982, #4544D)Edit
First Playing as "Now.... or Then" (December 2, 1986, #6292D)Edit
A Now.... or Then Perfection from Season 24 Christmas Week (December 22, 1995, #9775D)Edit
Cinderella Plays Now.... or Then (November 26, 1997, #0543K)Edit
Kara's Now.... or Then Disaster (February 13, 2002, #2063K)Edit
Final Playing with Bob Barker (May 31, 2007, #4014K)Edit
First Playing with Drew Carey (November 26, 2007, #4101K)Edit
Eileen's Now... or Then Disaster (February 17, 2010, #5043K)Edit
David & Jonathon's Now... or Then Disaster (June 17, 2011, #5615K)Edit
Now.... or Then for a Dodge Journey (June 7, 2012, #6004K)Edit
Julie's Now.... or Then Comeback (April 9, 2014, #6693K)Edit
Now... or Then's Only Loss of Season 42 (May 28, 2014, #6763K)Edit
Now.... and Then 2015 (September 22, 2015, #7212K)Edit
Another Playing as "Now.... and Then" (December 30, 2015, #7343K)Edit
Last Appearance of Now.... or Then's Original Set (May 20, 2016, #7545K)Edit
Debut of Now.... or Then's Revamped Set (May 23, 2016, #034SP)Edit
Daytime Debut of Now.... or Then's Revamped Set (June 21, 2016, #7592K)Edit
First Loss on Revamped Set (November 11, 2016, #7685K)Edit
A Car Win in Now.... or Then (October 13, 2017, #8045K)Edit
Now.... or Then for $30,000 (February 19, 2018, #8221K, aired out of order on February 22)Edit
Now.... or Then's Only Loss in Season 47 (April 9, 2019, #8702K, aired out of order on April 2)Edit
Now.... or Then for a Home Theatre Group and a $1,500 Gift Card to Garrett Popcorn Shops (May 15, 2019, #8753K, aired out of order on May 8)Edit
Jaime's Now.... or Then Comeback (June 7, 2019, #8785K)Edit
Harold's Prize and Phone/Car/Rent Bills Win (September 27, 2019, #8825K)Edit
Now.... or Then for an Arctic Cat ZR 200ES Snowmobile and a SpaBerry SB6 Hot Tub (December 9, 2019, #8931K, aired out of order on March 17, 2020, originally rescheduled to air on July 6, 2020)Edit
Cara's $20,000 PCH Win (March 11, 2020, #9063K)Edit
A Terrible Playing of Now... or Then (February 17, 2010, #5043K)
A Playing Under "Now... and Then" During Decades Week (September 22, 2015, #7212K)
Another Playing Under "Now... and Then" in the Carey Era (December 30, 2015, 7343K)
Daytime Debut of Now... or Then's Revamped Set (June 21, 2016, #7592K)
A Car Win in Now... or Then (October 13, 2017, #8045K)
Now... or Then for $30,000 (February 19, 2018, #8221K, aired out of order on February 22)
A Now... or Then Loss from Season 47 (April 9, 2019, #8702K, aired out of order on April 2)
A Now... or Then Comeback from Season 47 (June 7, 2019, #8785K)
A Now... or Then Win with Phone/Car/Rent Bills (September 27, 2019, #8825K)